Friday, July 17, 2009

Volvo 142 roof rack build

I recently decided that it was time the 142 had a roof rack. AC and I and Chip are moving to Portland Oregon in 4 weeks, and we are hoping to pack everything into the two cars and not have to rent a U-Haul or truck at all (we sent all of our furniture on a trailer to Washington with my dad last September[!] when we thought we would be moving sooner). I am praying the engine rebuild parts for the 145 that I ordered from VPD will actually get here before we have to leave, but I have some doubts....not sure what I will do if that happens, but I'm not going to think about it yet. Even with the wagon up and running though, I'm sure we will need more space than what's available inside our cars; we have a bicycle rack on the wagon already, and now with a VW-style rack on the 142, we should be able to load it up with all our suitcases and bulky items.

The 1/2" steel tubing cost me $25, and I spent around 5 hours total, cutting, measuring and welding it all together. Super-cheap, and it came out looking awesome! It's just bare steel at the moment, and I thought about leaving it that way...so HoodRide...but I plan to spray it this weekend with heavy-duty bedliner. It should look nice and finished (and gloss over my crappy welds!) and be very durable.









1 comment:

Anand Yadav said...

Really great information in your blog. Please write more so that we can get more updates in your blog. Thanks a lot! http://www.volvosparesandparts.com