Sunday, June 14, 2009

Well, I finally pulled the engine out of the 145. The knocking in the crankcase had me too worried to drive it anymore---and it is a good thing I stopped running it when I did, or I might have thrown a rod! When I got the motor apart I found thrashed rod bearings, two broken piston rings, a chunky oil pump, and a handful of sadly battered lifters. Ugly! It's surprising that it was running at all...

VPD from New York State is helping me with the (expensive!) rebuild, and it should run MUCH better than it ever has considering the condition of the internals. A few interesting things I found besides the damage when I opened it up, were an 8-bolt crank, lightened flywheel, and B21 pistons. Some nice upgrades already done for me. Sweet!

4 comments:

MEATBALLS said...

PICS!!!

Ben said...

I look forward to working with VPD on a motor some day... Or possibly just doing my own, I'm still not sure. What level of buildup are you doing?

I got most of the way through a BW35 to M410 swap in my '72 145 over the weekend. Fatal stop error - Front shaft too long!

Darren Cools said...

That's too bad about the shaft length...not sure what to say, but someone out there probably knows what you need.

I am shooting for about 160 HP in the 145 motor: the larger stroke, adjustable IPD computer and VPD's cam coupled with the 10.5:1 compression from an E head should get me there. I am also going to be doing some entry-level mild porting on the cylinder head myself. I'll have pictures of that! We'll see how it goes...

Ben said...

I'm having my driveline shortened at a local specialty shop. I'm doing the swap at a friend's vintage Volvo shop, and he didn't have the right shaft (with 15-20yrs of parts laying around), so custom is the way to go. I'll have them spec out a custom one piece shaft as long as I'm there, it might be pretty comparable in price.

Definitely excited to see the porting, good luck!