Wednesday, December 19, 2007

More fun stuff with Faye Valentine today; a piece of aluminum road sign makes a great replacement for the missing center on the steering wheel, (alas, no one makes an adapter for the Volvo 140 steering column except MOMO, whose steering wheels go for $200-$500 dollars). Poop. Well, I have made up my mind that this wheel can be cool too, so it's getting some hand-brushed aluminum bling. I'll put up a better picture of the finished job when it's done gluing.



When I got the car someone had broken off the headlight knob, flush with the dash. I could still get my fingernails in there enough to pull it on, but it was annoying to say the least. So I spent some time thinking about the problem and poking around among the random spare parts in the shop when I was hit with a great idea: Volvos run for time eternal, right? And odometers attempt to log this progress toward infinity, ya? Well, it just so happened that my dear old VW Rabbit had one last favor to give: I disassembled her broken speedometer that was still in a box in the back room of the Tack House, extracted one of the one mile wheels (black) and the one-tenth-of-a-mile wheel (white), drilled them out a bit, very carefully drilled a hole straight into the broken-off stem of the headlight switch and put it all together with a long screw. Clever, no?



The first coat of red paint on the wheels. They will get another coat on Thursday or Friday. Then the hub caps go back on so that all you see is a nice little stripe of red between the aluminum cover and the tire.





The air filters are in a bad way...

1 comment:

Joel Morehouse said...

Cool updates on the 140... I love the red wheels. A nice touch indeed. And when did the tack house get a new painted floor? I should move back to Cali!