Saturday, June 27, 2009

Per a request from the comments on the 'Slammed Volvo 140' post, I am adding a picture of the spring compressors I am using on the rear springs of the 142. To be honest, I feel a little sheepish about using these things---$10 junk items at Pep-Boys---it's just not the normal way people satisfactorily reduce spring height. The springs can't be cut like on the front of course, because of the fact that the coil has a smaller diameter at both ends, and is bolted on instead of sitting in a pocket. I could have notched the frame or cut the trailing arms and welded the perches back on lower, but this way was cheap, easy, and after having driven it for a couple of months, I am satisfied with the method; you'd never even know they were there.



Something I have been thinking about for a long time and finally did, is move the license plate and light to the underside of the rear bumper. I kept thinking how much nicer and cleaner the back panel would be without the plate and light cover in the middle. I am very happy with the new look! There are still ugly holes in the panel where the old hardware bolted up, but I'll sand and fill it eventually, and paint it matte black like the '80s VW Jettas.







Lots of front wheel camber on these cars when they are lowered this much! Hard on tires for street driving, but nice for handling. Perfect for Autocross someday after I get a new motor in her.



In other news: I am still waiting on VPD to actually place my order...nearly a solid month of e-mailing almost every single day, and me scrambling to get all the asked-for measurements and specs, but still no parts. *Sigh* Things will work out eventually I guess; VPD is known for this sort of thing. Another interesting discovery I recently made with the 145 engine is that the head has already been extensively ported. Looks like a nice job too. I suppose I won't be learning any head porting this time around, but that's okay since I want to be able to spend a LOT of time getting it right. I will have lots of pictures of everything going into this rebuild once I have the parts and start reassembling...

5 comments:

Ben said...

FYI, 240 top spring mounts and springs work on our cars. I put 240 top spring mounts in the back of my 145, so that I could use the IPD sport springs. Any junkyard 240 will work, as far as I know.

Darren Cools said...

Interesting...pics?

Darren Cools said...

Actually, I should have mentioned that I am already using Skandix lowering springs front and rear, which are supposed to lower the car 1.25"-1.5" from stock height. That wasn't low enough for me though, so I cut 1.5" more off the front springs, which equals a bit more than that in actual drop out at the wheel; and with the compressors on the rear springs, I pulled the back down a little over an inch from where the lowering springs put it.

If the 240 uses cups instead of a bolt-through-coil design however, I wouldn't have to rely in the compressors, which would be nice...(I've never owned a 240)

Ben said...

Exactly, the 240 upper mounts are cups. Pics are hard without the wheels off, though I need to do that soon to work the fender well lip back a little more, the tires still rub on larger bumps. If I think of it, I'll snap a few then.

knarfmk1 said...

Thanks for the pics! I was wondering how they would look because i'm searching for info about how too properly lower a 142(as in more than 1.5")

Never seen the compressors here in the Netherlands because they're illegal. So the solution with the 240 top spring mounts might be better for me, interesting!