Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The 145 has been doing fine for a quite a long time, with the exception of the misfiring when hot; but of course, when we are 900 miles from home, that is the time when everything goes wrong. The misfire came back with a vengeance and the exhaust header disintegrated. This is the second time on less than two weeks that the car is virtually undriveable.

A lot of expensive parts from IPD (which is local here in Portland) later, the rough running seems to be all sorted out (I said that last time too, I know), and I have a new header that I will be installing sometime today. POOP! This has turned into quite the expensive trip...

A couple of thoughts on the experience gained from this adventure:

First lesson:

Header tape is the devil. The tape I put on the wagon less than two months ago has completely destroyed my perfectly good header. I discovered this fact after we developed a severe exhaust leak a couple of days ago that was blasting the side of the engine block and the oil filter with hot exhaust. It worried me, so I started cutting off the tape, and underneath the pipes looked as if they had been bathing in salt water for years---nothing left but rust and big flakes of peeling metal, and splits in two of the four tubes, on of them 4 inches long! I wish I had known that this stuff was actually insanely destructive instead of cool and helpful.

Second lesson:

Pertronix magnetic pick-ups for distributors and vintage Volvos just don't work well together. I was on my third set, which is why I was in disbelief that my problem was in the ignition, especially since the car ran well 90% of the time. But I coughed up the money for an infrared pick-up from Crane Cams anyway, and the problem is gone. Man! What is with companies selling sub-par products?!

Well, I am off the replace the header, and I hope we can get through the rest of the trip without further mishap. And I still love my old Volvos...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hej as we say here in Sweden!

Nice to see that you like our old volvo´s also abroad! If it was not for corrossion, they would live forever!

Sad to see that you have to pay a lot for the spareparts. Here we just look behind any barn in the country side to find a "organ-doner". Also new parts are rather cheap, nothing is cheaper than driving an old volvo (except for the fuel consuption) I had three volvos. The first one was a 245:er 1989 that I sold 1997 after 440.000 km, still going strong. Good luck with your cars!

Lennart

Ben said...

Hey - Question on the front coil springs. Have you replaced those yet? I also have a '72 145, tried to put new springs on it a few weekends back. I couldn't get the lower a-arm to drop so that I could get the spring out. I've tried searching brickboard, but have not had much luck. I have the green book too, and it's not very helpful either.

Any advice you can share would be appreciated! Thanks, and love the blog! I tried to start one when I picked up my '72, but I suck at updating things...

Darren Cools said...

Hey Ben:

I've done this job twice now, once on a '68 142 and once on a '67 144, and both times I unbolted the sway bar, removed the shock, and separated the lower ball joint using a pickle fork (be careful to not damage the rubber seal on the ball joint unless you plan on replacing it); this allows you to push the lower wishbone down until the spring can be wrestled out. If it is a stock spring (long) this will take some effort, but it works, I promise.